Visiting Research Teams
Academic and commercial research teams propose research to be conducted within and around SAM. The 5 research foci are by no means mandates, rather stimulation for the imagination and all that needs to be done to prepare humans for exploration of our solar system. Researchers can work on-site to conduct experiments or install equipment to be operated remotely, or ship test and data collection systems to be installed by SAM staff.
Scientific studies might include:
- Soil, hydroponic, and aquaponic agricultural systems
- Food production and food consumption studies
- Plant-based CO 2 sequestration and bioregeneration
- Converting regolith to soil, and soil health studies
- Transition from mechanical to sustainable, hybrid ECLSS solutions
- Seasonal radiation and artificial lighting studies
- AI and robotics automation and cohabitation
- Human factors, tool use, and haptics
- Use of fully functional pressure suits in the surrounding Mars yard
- Short-term food and sociology studies
- Long-term studies in human psychology will be considered only for qualified teams.
- To name a few …
Artists, writers, and filmmakers too!
SAM also welcomes non-scientific teams, such as artists, writers, and filmmakers. These team members much also submit a full proposal and undergo the full training required for safety and a positive SAM experience.
Living and Working in SAM
Teams may remain in situ from a week to a few months. Teams must provide as least one operator who will maintain post at the fully equipped Mission Control Center at Biosphere 2. The degree of simulation is set by the team, from full, real-time use of the internet to delayed communications that match the light travel time from Earth (MC) to Mars (SAM). Managing partner Over the Sun, LLC provides team training and logistics prior to arrival and while teams are on site and engaged.
Ready to come to SAM?
We are now processing team inquiries and making reservations for the late spring of 2022.
Contact us to initiate a conversation, formulate your mission objectives, and establish the cost associated with your mission.
Until further notice, visiting researchers are required to take a COVID test 48 hours prior to arrival to the Biosphere 2 campus and provide proof of a negative result, independent of vaccination status.